Friday, November 7, 2008

I have a dream

As I hear the speech of the newly elected President of United States of America, I am drawn to a comparison between a long ago made historic speech by Martin Luther King in 1963- “I have a dream”

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.
I have a dream today.


Unfortunately Martin Luther could not live through to see his dreams becoming a reality. He was assassinated in 1965! But truly such leaders have come and gone and made their mark in the history of mankind.
Another powerful set of words which I always feel very proud of to listen are the ones spoken by Pt JawaharLal Nehru on 15th August 1947

Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially.
At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.
A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance.
It is fitting that at this solemn moment we take the pledge of dedication to the service of India and her people and to the still larger cause of humanity

I too have a dream! I dream of a nation free of poverty, I dream of my nation free of bloodshed, I dream of my nation self sufficient and progressive. We are slowly getting there but still a lot needs to change. We for one need to get rid of few bunch of jokers who for their own vested interest have joined politics and are doing nothing but damaging the already existing resources. They exploit the sentiments of poor people and create communal disharmony. Truly said –
Log Hindu aur Muslim Ban gae hain chund lamhon mei
Aadmi na bann paye hum hazar salon mei

I dream of becoming a PrimeMinister some day and making a difference. Well this could be a very aggressive dream but then I at least would want to do something worthwhile which can bring in a change to the society, eventually the world. Everyone lives a life for ones own self but we remember those who lived and did their deeds for the goodness of others.
Hazaron Khwaishein Aisi Ki Harr Khwaish Pe dumm nikle, Bahut Nikle mere araman phir bhi kumm nikle.

1 comment:

The Learner.... said...

" A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance."

Very well said indeed... n this fight to break thru the olds n emrge into a "new one" is not only with the world, or with ur professional arena.. its with ur self,,, a change and determination and a dedication starts with ones own self.. and am sure, if we all deeply study some of our historians, we will realise, how they were a changed personality within them selves first before they changed the face of the world...
we are enriched with such historians, such fighters n leaders.. n must appreciate the gifts that have been bestowed upon us - implicitly...