Monday, November 10, 2008

Breakfast-Eat like a king

Options for breakfast have always been a task for me to work on. The mad rush of the mornings. The maid, the cook, the car wash, the driver – So many calling bells. The fight against time and then making sure one has a good healthy breakfast before leaving for work. What to eat everyday so that we maintain a healthy balance! They say one should have breakfast like a king, Lunch like a queen and dinners like a beggar! I have never seen a kings breakfast table but from my exquisite imagination I can assume it must be a lavish one. Well I don’t set a lavish breakfast table but I sure try and keep it as healthy as possible.
Some of the options I have been practicing-
I have made a mix of flours – One fine day I bought Bajra, Jowar, Raagi, Soya, Gram flour and mixed equal proportions of each with normal wheat flour. Now every 3 days my cook uses this mixed flour and makes light parathas. He stuffs them with a combination of few of these Carrot, Spinach, Radish, Methi leaves. Easy to make and healthy for stomach. We have it with Curd generally. Quick to bite and very tasty.
I also enjoy Porridge -Dalia once or twice a week. The cook is good at making Poha so that is one common option every week. Whenever I remember to soak Rava (Sooji) with curd, we enjoy the Uttapam as well. Once soaked its very simple to make and very tasty to eat. I add sprouts and tomatoes to it while it gets steamed.
Corn flakes/Cereals is an all time favorite. Weekends we usually make Omelets or get Idlis from the nearby Shanti-sagar and enjoy a south Indian breakfast.
Sprouts, Milk and banana is common item everyday no matter what’s served on breakfast.
Sometimes I just enjoy eating Chura Dahi in mornings. Now this is a very typical breakfast from the eastern end of our country. All my fellow friends from Bihar will relate to it!
When I am sick the only dish I enjoy eating is Doodh-Roti. Chapati soaked in milk with lots of sugar.
Even though this looks like a lot of options, I still wonder how my mom always had many more options and so much more to offer us. I wonder if our kids are going to give the same compliment to us?
Now that is a million dollar question!

2 comments:

The Learner.... said...

hmnn.. not a gud blog to read especially wen u have just entered office and is almost starving heheh eheh..
yes the kids - they wud say " how abt some pancakes some day" hehe...

yes u r right. .. eat breakfast like a king, n dine like a beggar ,,, and if u cant accept this, then probably dine by 6 p.m. ;) eheheh.. gud luk n way to go on ur bloggingg

Snigdha said...

Hahha..True..Pancakes..I use to make it very often myself..But then i realized i am eating too much of the sugary maple syrup with it. No good for health you see...Hehehe.